Sunday 2 January 2011

Do it now and do it loud...

It was just a few months ago now that I was sitting, still in my High School uniform, in the careers office, about to tell a stranger that I'm sixteen years of age and have absolutely no idea what I was going to do with my life. Truth is, I had ideas that I would entertain every now and again: artist, historian, and I would spend months under these pretences of professionalism, feigning interest in WWII programmes and sketching like I was being paid for it. It was tiring if I'm honest, and there came a time when, after months of putting it off I crawled into the careers office, clutching an appointment card and a pen. It was embarrassing in a way, confessing to such utter cluelessness when everyone else was perfectly in the know; Yolanda with her books on medicine, Chris with his infinite knowledge of RAF strategies and engineering goo-gah, and me, with my Sony Walkman and manga books. Yes, I hopeless, and with that mindset, I fell into a classroom chair infront of a careers woman-thingy, deflating with apathy.
Half an hour later, I came out of the office, still holding my appointment card, only now it was in several pieces - surprisingly, I got bored - and with this insignificant, unhelpful, and frankly S*** piece of advice, which was to become the foundations of my livelihood and income for the rest of my life: Research.
Yes, she told me to research. Sorry for dragging you all into this post but the fact is that interview didn't help me all that much. I was still left confused, disheartened, bored. I already knew I liked to write, damn, I did it a lot. It was nice, I guess, just writing down your thoughts. Journalism and all the rest of it, I had considered them, but they seemed unreachable, a little too far-fetched. The journalism business, I have been told, is a bloody and violent battle ground, and a plan to get into that career seemed a little difficult to orchestrate. Nevertheless, if there is one thing that interview told me, is that I had to figure it out for myself, and if I couldn't find a sensible path to take, I would just have to go with the only one available, no matter how hard or over-ambitious it would be. So here I am, justifying the creation of my blog by telling you that really, my writing is the only thing really going for me. Yes, I know it seems a little shoddy right now, but alas, I typed this up in a matter of minutes, no drafting or spellcheck *spots spellcheck button on blogger*. Oh.
This blog is for me to practice, to get my writing out to a larger scope than just fellow fan-fiction connoisseurs and to maybe even get some comments and feedback. I mean, you never know, people might like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment